Friday, March 21, 2014

Art III -- Time as an Element Halfway Point

So, this project was tricky for me to come up with an idea for. I wanted to show time passing through my piece but the biggest question had to be on how to get it to do just that. I had this idea involving fruit and developing a character. I really wanted to develop a character, though. So that's what I finally ended up going with. The only problem had to be on how to show a few simple lines turning into a character. Usually I develop character like this:

As you can see, I gradually changed a few lines into something more human and then it turned into a character. Of course, no one usually lets the lines part of character development be shown. It's what made it tricky for me. I didn't want to have a weird take on the evolution of a human being picture where the monkey gradually turns into a man, but I did want to show a stick figure moving through a background and turning into a person. That's when it hit me. I could have him be getting ready for the day and that makes him turn into a character. Kind of like slowly developing after waking up and then eating breakfast. So I designed my house.

It's light on my plans, but it's there. I'm hoping that the idea of mixing movement with time works. Movement is a bit of a risk for me in general.
After planning, I began to figure out colors. I knew my character would look like this:


But I needed to know how he'd look with some color. I think I did really well with colored pencils. I mean, his hair looks really good!

 

After that, I painted. I, so far, have only the house.


It took me awhile to come up with how to get it to look this way. I kind of got inspired off of a doll house. I wanted it to look somewhat juvenile and have a complex inside. The background appears very smooth and dreamy, too. I wanted that to be there for helping viewers see that it is kind of like a dream and at the same time, I put colors of a sunrise in there so it would seem a little like waking up from a dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment